Living and breathing in this world, as a LinkedIn™ certified consultant, I write and teach a lot about what to do on this platform, what not to do and why we do it this way, etc. It is very obvious, in my opinion, what social selling (aka lead generation the NEW modern way) is and how to master it on LinkedIn. Yes indeed you can have a system in place that gets your personal brand into the market, a market that has been HIGHLY targeted and nurtured along the way to the point of prospect engagement (them coming to you) -without ever leaving LinkedIn.
I know this is true, because I built a business around doing this….but I am not offering my services (well not directly anyway). Instead, I put together a cheat sheet recently and it was very well received, as it truly removed all the mystery and offered up all the tactics behind what we do for our client.
Let’s get right into it….no long intro and no transition into the ‘why’ – just trust me & know this is true!
- First, your LinkedIn™ profile is not about you. Ever. As a business leader, you need leads & prospects, so stop making your profile a resume – you are not looking for a job (at least not now). Your profile should be used ONLY for explaining the benefits that ‘said prospect’ would find working with you and your company. I know this may come as a shock, but no one cares about your title – the title ‘CEO’ or ‘Founder’ says nothing and cannot solve problems for prospects.
Dig deep. Do a bit of self analysis and understand the problems you solve. Show some empathy and humility and express ‘giving a damn’ in your profile description. Don’t do the blah blah blah that everyone else does- be distinct.
- Second, do your business a favor and upgrade to premium and get Sales Navigator. Learn how to use it and use it EVERY SINGLE DAY. This is an extraordinarily powerful tool. The lead builder capability has 25+ filters and you can further tag and categorize your leads. The capabilities continue to broaden. Companies would pay a full time employee to do what this tool can do!
- Third, it is always quality over quantity. No it does not matter if you have 42,365 connections on LinkedIn™ (true story), if none of those people would ever buy from you. It is not about vanity metrics or a race to see how many connections you can have. You need to be laser focused about who you target, so be precise. Start over from scratch if necessary. Build a new database using Sales Navigator of anywhere between 1k-3k highly targeted prospects.
Send an intriguing & relevant invitation to new prospects, not the standard message. Make it personal. This will give you 30% plus acceptance rate. Be smart. Be relevant to them. No pitch.
- The fourth element is building your own personal brand & getting into the mind of your prospects. Yes YOU need to be branded and it has zero to do with your title (see above) or your company. This is not corporate marketing. It is about you becoming an authority, not in what you do per se, but an authority in the pains & frustrations of your prospects.
Example: Joe owns a logistics SaaS company and the niche his sells into is manufacturing. So Joe joins LinkedIn groups where manufacturers hang out and he learns their pains & frustrations; he also shares content that teaches them how to do something with logistics. Soon he starts to add value into these groups. Joe also creates his own group to invite manufactures into with the mission to address the problems that he learned previously.
- Finally, content is king. No way around it. If you are not blogging, you need to start. If you are not writing white papers, then start. Link all those posts and articles on your LinkedIn™ profile (think of this as your new landing page of your website) – always include link “read more” and get folks back to your website, so that you can a circular movement back and forth.
Again be very careful to not just spill on people all the bells and whistles and all the benefits of your product & service. Switch the paradigm and see it from the prospects point of view. What are you really solving for? Is it Greater Efficiency? Less Risk?
I’m happy to help you design a custom LinkedIn plan for your business, show you how to identify your perfect target market of prospective buyers and show you how to present you and your business to them the right way. This way you’ll be able to focus on running your business while having a social selling (aka lead generation the NEW modern way) machine in place 24/7.
And I do give a lot of free advice….no cost & no obligation of any kind. I am actually a very straight to the point person and if you listen carefully, I will hand out lot of GOOD advice – if I think your tactics are wrong, I will tell you and I will tell you what to do instead. And no I do not try to sell my services to everyone I talk to…frankly I am very picky and honestly cannot help everyone….
If you want to schedule a planning session for free advice or to consider our services, simply click the link below. When you click, you’ll see a form with a few questions about you, your business and what you’re looking to accomplish. Once I have that information, I’ll do some research and be ready for when we speak. Click Here for Free Consultation.